New Zealand Government Procurement (NZGP) has published contractor and consultant guidance. This guidance helps government departments and agencies decide when to use contractors or consultants.
The guidance has been prepared with support from the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet (DPMC) and Te Kawa Mataaho Public Service Commission.
- provides definitions for consultants or contractors.
- outlines when it may be appropriate to engage external consultants or contractors.
- provides steps to take before engaging external consultants or contractors.
- is primarily for agencies that are required to apply the Government Procurement Rules (these agencies must consider this guidance). Other agencies are encouraged to use it.
- applies to all contractors and consultants engaged by government agencies – not solely policy contractors.
It does not change the definitions of "contractor" and "consultant" published by Te Kawa Mataaho Public Service Commission.
Contractors and consultants guidance [PDF 642KB] – Te Kawa Mataaho Public Service Commission
Reporting to Te Kawa Mataaho Public Service Commission will not be affected.