The Government Property Group (GPG) works with government agencies to raise standards, improve capability, champion best practice and innovation, and deliver public value in government property through a collaborative centre-led approach.
Government Property Group
We support managing and coordinating government office accommodation needs by working collaboratively with agencies.
Our role includes property advice, and setting standards and guidelines for Government Property Group mandated agencies. We work with agencies on office space and public interface property requirements, excluding operational sites.
We are responsible for delivering the Government Office Accommodation Programme, and Government expectations for property by refocusing the way we organise, coordinate and connect government services through smarter property planning.
Through these functions, Government Property Group, at the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, helps deliver the property Functional Leader responsibilities for Government.
What we do
The Government Property Group planning and advisory team collaborates with agencies on:
- property portfolio planning and advisory services
- workplace design and change management advisory services
- developing regional plans and supporting agency’s property planning
- reviewing and approving lease requests in alignment with the Government Office Accommodation Programme
- property brokerage (ie assisting agencies fill surplus space with those that need space)
The Government Property Group project delivery team is focused on:
- planning, managing and delivering co-located property projects within the Government Office Accommodation Programme
- assisting and collaborating with agencies when they are leading property projects.
Our functions include:
- approving government property acquisitions, renewals and disposals (whether leased or owned)
- developing national property strategies, principles, standards, tools and processes
- whole-of-government procurement of property-related goods and services
- maintaining the online integrated workplace management system, Government Property Portal.
News and Updates
Government Property Group satisfaction survey
MBIE appoints new General Managers to lead Government Procurement and Government Property
We are delighted to announce the appointment of two new General Managers to lead Government Procurement and Government Property.
Contract automation project - Government standard property templates
Automating core government templates is a key part of our digital strategy.
New general manager for New Zealand Government Procurement and Property
After nearly 11 years leading New Zealand’s Government procurement and property reforms, John Ivil is moving on from his role as General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement and Property (NZGPP) at the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE).
Upcoming consultation on extending the Rules to state and public sector agencies
The government’s response to COVID-19 has highlighted an opportunity to improve the standards and consistency of government procurement practice and accelerate the delivery of broader social, cultural, economic and environmental outcomes.