The Government’s response to COVID-19 required a number of new procurement measures to be put in place. One of those measures was the assurance function, which will identify and mitigate procurement system risks, and recommend remedial action where required.
Procurement assurance provides confidence to Ministers, and the Procurement Functional Lead (PFL), that procurement activity consistently meets good practice by:
- developing transparent government procurement practices and activity
- assessing those practices and activity against standards
- providing remedial action where required.
The main objectives of the assurance function are:
- to more consistently and effectively implement government policy objectives in procurement activity
- to reduce the overall risk of significant procurement failure.
We are developing a target operating model which will outline the required capabilities and the key functional elements for implementing the assurance function. We will consult with agencies on the draft over the next couple of months.