Procurement Graduate Programme
Procurement is currently one of the fastest growing professions in New Zealand and overseas. Procurement delivers innovative, flexible and cost effective commercial solutions to meet business needs. It is a critical driver of business growth in both public and private sectors and is considered vital by business leaders.
In addition to the changing nature of the profession, there are a number of reasons why this profession is such an exciting career choice:
- It provides interesting, varied and challenging work.
- There are plenty of opportunities in both the public and private sectors.
- There is a real opportunity to shine and progress through an organisation via procurement.
- It gives you the opportunity to work overseas.
- You can earn a competitive salary.
The Procurement Graduate Programme (Programme) is a key initiative of Procurement Functional Leadership. This Programme is a unique opportunity to not only kick-start your procurement career, but to also join a career development programme which actively seeks to develop future leaders of the New Zealand Public Sector.
What is the Procurement Graduate Programme?
The Programme creates opportunities for effective and dynamic people by providing:
- six-month rotations in diverse organisations (primarily government agencies) working on interesting and high priority projects;
- commercial skills development through networking events, a mentorship programme and training; and
- subsidised study towards the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply (CIPS) Level 4 Diploma.
You will develop critical commercial skills by getting involved in interesting, varied and challenging work which delivers real value for organisations. You will have opportunities to experience different aspects of this dynamic profession so you can decide which part of the profession you wish to work in, in future.
What kind of work does a procurement graduate do?
MBIE will work to place you with different commercial teams in relevant organisations (Host Agencies) to give you the broadest experience and, where relevant, marry with your interests. Host organisations are primarily government agencies based in either Wellington or Auckland. By the end of the Programme, it is expected you will:
- Understand applicable commercial concepts, strategies and best practice principles and how to apply them to deliver results.
- Understand or have had experience undertaking core procurement tasks including:
- needs identification, market and spend analysis and forecasting future demand,
- early market engagement and market engagement strategies,
- running tenders, and
- supplier or provider management.
- Have developed excellent written skills including being able to write compelling and well thought through business cases.
- Have excellent relationship management skills including:
- being able to participate effectively in groups and teams,
- identifying and effectively engaging with internal and external stakeholders,
- engaging with suppliers and providers, and
- acting with influence in order to help deliver an organisation’s work.
Who should apply?
The programme is designed for those with a tertiary bachelor’s qualification in a relevant discipline (e.g. commerce, business, management engineering, maths or science). The following skills and traits are also desirable:
- Ability to understand and analyse information
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Problem identification and solution skills
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Effective project management
- Good relationship management
- An understanding of the machinery of Government and Public Sector obligations
- Social or community engagement
How can you apply?
Applications for the Procurement Graduate Programme typically open in the first half of the year.
By registering with MBIE careers you can keep an eye on job opportunities within MBIE, create a career profile and receive an alert when applications for the programme open.
- Contact us today at email@example.com to learn more.
- Register at MBIE careers.
- Check out Purchasing/Supply officer and Procurement Manager on the Careers New Zealand website for more detail on procurement roles.